THE WORLD OF SAMUEL MEEKER, MERCHANT OF PHILADELPHIA, AND GILBERT STUART, AMERICAN PORTRAIT ARTIST

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In 2003, the first Christmas market was held at the villa, now part of "Weimar Classics"--This is how the Schloss looks today.

Helen, mila, and myself were lucky enough to be able to drive out to Gross-Kochberg on one chilly wintery day, with the expectation of a day imbued with culture; for this is where Charlotte von Stein, aristocrat in the court of Weimar (don't forget, a miniscule dukedom back then but already on the map of the GRAND TOUR) would retreat to escape from the strict etiquette characteristic of the nobility of the time. A Christmas market in a historically genuine spot! Music! Costumes! Lovely gardens! Local/traditional crafts! lets see, whats the name for the German wine....how quickly we forget......
Well. It was a freezing day, unfortunately. That meant that for the most part everyone and everybody tried to cram into the (small) cellar, where the craft booths were. I lost my friends. It was hot, stuffy, the crafts were..... nichts. na ja. Suddenly, across the sea of heads, I saw the smiling face of Michael, my mila. Ahh!! l It was the first event at the Schloss. mila helen and I ended up out in the garden, mature, tall trees, covered with a sprinkling of snow...but it was just too darn cold. That was our day at the Schloss Kochberg. The expectations were more charming than the reality. But I would have never forgiven myself, if we had missed it...

No comments:

 
Site Meter